Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Some books and articles on Science and lack of it in Mental Health Treatment.

Distinction between Science and Pseudoscience.

1. Wikepedia Pseudoscience
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudoscience


Skeptics Quack Watch
2. Article by Rory Coker, Ph.D. "Distinguishing Science and Pseudoscience"
http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/pseudo.html

3. Scott O. Lilienfeld, Steven Jay Lynn, Jeffrey M. Lohr "Science and pseudoscience in clinical psychology" here is a little --Youtube I have not hear yet, but seems to be accurate http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7766-w3luyw

4. "The Great Ideas of Clinical Science: 17 Principles that Every Mental Health Professional Should Understand"  Scott O. Lilienfeld, William T. O'Donohue

5. One final article which is very important is "Why Bogus Therapies Seem to Work" by Barry L. Beyerstein PhD.
I feel shamed and betrayed by my own profession. I have read each and every one of this books
and articles. I have become such an skeptic about mental health and substance use disorder
treatment that each time I hear a claim be made by even some of this authors I check and double
check most of their work. It is tiring but nevertheless I have been hot aired so much I feel that
treatment has devastated my life both economically and socially. Before I die, I have made my
commitment to assure that patients learn about the need for science and the fact that we
are being bamboozled by people who maybe nice some times, but are nevertheless quacks.

1 comment:

  1. I was diagnosed as HEPATITIS B carrier in 2013 with fibrosis of the
    liver already present. I started on antiviral medications which
    reduced the viral load initially. After a couple of years the virus
    became resistant. I started on HEPATITIS B Herbal treatment from
    ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC (www.ultimatelifeclinic.com) in March, 2020. Their
    treatment totally reversed the virus. I did another blood test after
    the 6 months long treatment and tested negative to the virus. Amazing
    treatment! This treatment is a breakthrough for all HBV carriers.

    ReplyDelete